I stumbled upon this the other day when I was looking for a free audio editor that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg and require a licensing update every other year. So I found the program Audacity and if you like Cool Edit Pro then this is a great free substitute. Here are the features as reported on the website (Best part, unlimited Undo and Redo):
- Easy editing with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete.
- Use unlimited Undo (and Redo) to go back any number of steps.
- Very fast editing of large files.
- Edit and mix an unlimited number of tracks.
- Use the Drawing tool to alter individual sample points.
- Fade the volume up or down smoothly with the Envelope tool.
- Change the pitch without altering the tempo, or vice-versa.
- Remove static, hiss, hum, or other constant background noises.
- Alter frequencies with Equalization, FFT Filter, and Bass Boost effects.
- Adjust volumes with Compressor, Amplify, and Normalize effects.
- Other built-in effects include:
[ Link ]